I’m not talking about heavy metal music, although frequency-wise that’s an interesting topic on its own. I’m writing about health news regarding the brain that has been published lately, and I’d like to share some of it. As an energetic health practitioner who works with the Chinese Five Element and Meridian System, Metal Element is particular to this time of year. Metal deals with intellect, precision, values and inspiration. Obviously, input=output. Mental function is directly related to what you ingest, digest and filter through all of your senses. The following article details some factors to consider to improve the overall positive functioning of your brain.
Take Inventory of Your Environmental Toxins: You are exposed to a number of chemicals and irritants everyday. This has a direct impact on the demand placed on your body-mind system to process toxins. Decrease your exposure. Less stress on your body-mind system=more optimal life energy flow.
- Cadmium: automobile products (black rubber, seat covers, burned motor oil), evaporated milk, processed foods, sprays on fruits and vegetables and soft drinks
- Aluminum: deodorants, pots and pans, shampoos, storage wraps for foods, and antacids
- Lead: canned foods, leaded candle sticks, lead or soldered water pipes, lead paint, colored or glossy newsprint, soil, vehicle emissions, cigarette smoke, municipal water supplies (soft water and lead pipes), and some calcium supplements
- Mercury: dental fillings, fish, the preservative thimerasol in vaccines, coal-fired power plants and trash incinerators.
- Pesticides: agriculture, lawns, golf courses, and veterinary practice
- Personal and Household Products: According to The Brain Wash by Michelle Schoffro Cook, there are significant issues with products we use in our homes for the purpose of beauty and hygiene. A number of ingredients in shampoos, toothpaste, deodorant and perfume report significant negative effects on our central nervous system and cognitive function. Chemicals in mattresses, cleaners, carpets and dryer sheets contain many neurotoxins.
What Actions Can You Take to Support Your Brain’s Functioning?
Nutrition: In a study done by Dr. Steven Pratt, six foods are suggested to help preserve your health and fight the aging of the brain: pomegranate, blueberries, walnuts, spinach, almonds, and oranges. Researchers at Oxford University in England have found that B12 plays an important role on mental function. Foods such as eggs, yogurt, tuna, salmon, rainbow trout, clams, swiss cheese, milk, chicken and beef contain B12. For vegetarians, wheat germ or cereals fortified with B12 is a good alternative if you are not getting it from a supplement. Drink green tea to protect your brain. Eat organic dark chocolate. Get the anti-inflammatory benefits of ginger, celery and cherries. Cook with sage, turmeric, fennel, marjoram, thyme and cilantro.
To support detox:* Eat whole foods. Decrease intake of processed foods. Include olives, olive oil, onions, purple and red grapes, garlic and organic dark leafy greens in your diet. Limit sugar and alcohol consumption to improve the functioning of your immune filtering system. Filter your drinking water. Include a probiotic such as acidophilus bifidus as part of your care for your digestion and balance of friendly bacteria. *Vitamin E, C, magnesium, Selenium,Coenzyme Q10, and Ginko Biloba have been identified as antioxidant support for the brain. Work with a certified nutritional health practitioner to help you, if needed.
Go Outside: Physical activity that includes cardiovascular fitness also improves your cognitive functioning in the areas of processing speed, attention and motor skills. Find a way to keep variations of cycling, swimming and walking in your routine. Stepping away from the electromagnetic field radiation from electronic devices also helps to re-energize and bring more clarity to your thinking. Take a walk on the beach or next to saltwater to get negative ions to strengthen autonomic nerve and cellular function. If you cannot get to saltwater, burn a rock salt lamp in your home with a non-petroleum candle. Using houseplants such as spider plants near your computer also create more oxygen-rich air to breathe for oxygen delivery to the brain. The brain and the nervous system need the most oxygen in your body for optimal functioning.
Expand and Share your Life Purpose Gifts: Stay connected to what interests and inspires you. Learn something new! Take in beauty. Take in color through foods, art, and creativity. Join a group to keep you inspired and connected to others. Volunteer. Nurture joy and love by offering it to yourself and others. On the Chinese Medicine Wheel this is Fire Element warming Metal Element to creating harmony and balance for wisdom and a rich inner life.
Find Additional Resource Material: Dr. Steven Pratt’s blog: http://superfoodsrx.com/
The Brain Wash by Michelle Schoffro Cook:The Brain Wash: A Powerful, All-Natural Program to Protect Your Brain Against Alzheimer’s, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Depression, Parkinson’s, and Other Diseases
Maintaining the Oxygen Balance in the Brain: http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/micro.html
Like this article? Sign up for exclusive articles on consciousness science, e-books, and repatternings at http://www.windowstotheheart.net/news.php